This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Bridgeman Road on Google Maps.
This road runs between Station Road and Field Lane. It is shown on the 1863 OS map but is not named. It is named on the 1893 map, but there are no buildings on the south side. A large building is shown at the corner of Bridgeman Road and Station Road. A detached house is next to this and a pair of semi-detached houses are on the corner of the lane later to become Cedar Road.
Bridgeman Road is named after Sir Orlando Bridgman (1606-74) who spent his last years in Bridgman House on the High Street with his family and chaplain Thomas Trahearne, the metaphysica poet. As an eminent and impartial lawyer he was appointed by Charles II to re-apportion Royalist estates after the Commonwealth, and was Keeper of the Great Seal. He is buried in St Mary's Church. His name was usually spelled without the middle 'e' and the road is spelled this way on the 1893 OS map.
The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are: