Broom Road 5, "The Lensbury"
Road: Broom Road
Property: 5, "The Lensbury"
In the 1970s Survey the Teddington Society wrote "The Lensbury Club, circa 1930s. Large 4-storied redbricked Georgian-style building purpose built as a Club for employees of Shell. A 2-storey grey brick extension has been built within the grounds."
In 2012 the Lensbury Club wrote "The Club was first formed in 1920 as the sports and social club for the staff of the Royal Dutch Shell Group. The London head offices were at St Helen's Court and 16 Finsbury Circus and the name "Lensbury" is a permutation of the St HeLENS and FinsBURY. The Club was progressively extended by the acquisition of neighbouring properties until 1936 when a design was put forward to demolish the three old houses and erect a new clubhouse building.
Designed by the architects Walker and Harwood and built by Trollope and Colls, the new building was opened 17 September 1938 with hotel accommodation for 200, dining rooms and a ballroom. Further additions were made in the 1970s and 1980s with the addition of a conference centre containing 30 meeting rooms. The Lensbury achieved Building of Township Merit status in 2004."
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.