Broom Road 80
80 Broom Road Teddington-NOT A BTM
Although not on the LBRuT 2013 list of BTMs but there is a long description of the history of the site in the Council booklet "The Building of a Borough" It is a large detached house set back from the road with extensive back and front gardens.
Information from Richmond Council's booklet THE BUILDING OF A BOROUGH Number 80 was built on land which originally formed part of Teddington Common Fields which became part of the Lord of the Manor's Estate following the Enclosure Acts. The Estate Trustees then sold an extensive area of land in Broom Road to a Mr Mullens and Mr Morant.
On 30 November 1869 the land was for sale by auction. It was described as "valuable building land near Bushy Park and the River Thames, contiguous to the town of Kingston on Thames and a short distance from the railway station at Teddington" and "A dry and healthy locality, rapidly increasing, and from its proximity to the metropolis, combined with the natural beauties of the district, offers peculiar advantages for gentlemen seeking a rural retreat… (offering) an opportunity of realising a large profit by subdivision into lots for the erection of Private residencies and shops."
It was for sale by auction again on 2 May 1871. The sale particulars stated "This property offers peculiar advantages to gentlemen seeking a most healthy and salubrious tract of land on which to erect a residence for occupation. On the other hand it offers a sound investment and an opportunity for realising a large profit by subdivisions into lots." It was auctioned again on 10 July 1872 but this time in separate lots.
The 1894 Ordnance Survey map shows Culcheth Hall had been built on the site, a large plot fronting Broom Road. The plot extended approximately half way down towards Kingston Road and was the largest of the scattered properties on this side of Broom Road. The only road crossing from Kingston Road to Broom Road between Ferry Road and Holmesdale Road was Cornelius Road (formerly Farlington Road now St Edwards Road). It has not been possible to establish why the Hall was named "Culcheth." There has been a village with that name in Cheshire (formerly in Lancashire) since at least 1200 when the first Culcheth Hall was built there by Gilbert de Culcheth.
The first occupant of Culcheth Hall was a Mr J Greaves. He, and later his widow, lived there with various servants for the rest of the century. Frederick W Blunt lived there from 1905 to 1913 and then the Jacob family. There was also a separate Lodge occupied in the 1890s and 90s by the Seymour family.
The 1915 Ordnance Survey map shows The Hall remained but part of its grounds and that of its neighbour "Cuyuni" had been built on to create a section of St Winifred's Road with access only from Kingston Road.
On 17 December 1935 approval (PLA 00849) was given to extend St Winifred's Road to Broom Road incorporating 20 semi-detached houses fronting the extended road and on either side at its junction with Broom Road (including number 80). The Hall remained but most of the grounds were to be built on. The application was submitted by Thomas & Son "Builders and Contractors" of Chipstead Surrey. By 1938 the Hall was publicly listed as empty and it had been demolished (along with Cuyuni) by 1939. The proposed four bedroom properties had the same basic layout but with six different styles mainly in the window, door and porch details. Little has changed since the properties were built other than the usual domestic extensions and alterations.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.