Ferry Road

From The Teddington Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Ferry Road on Google Maps.

Ferry Road had been known as Water Lane and it was only noted as Ferry Road in the 1871 census. Teddington Society's Paddy Ching believes there was no earlier licensed ferry but by the time of the 1863/64 Ordnance Survey map a ferry crossing is shown to the Creweyte island (now "Weir Island") and passengers completed the crossing to the Surrey bank by walking over the lock gates. The first lock had been built in 1811, but it was not until 1889 that the pedestrian bridges were opened. The 1841 census shows that several watermen and fishermen were living in Water Lane/Ferry Road. The road was subject to flooding, even as far up as the two churches, and all the houses in the road were raised well above the level of the pavement. A flood barrier, however, has recently been built.

Ferry Road runs from the end of the High Street at the junction with Langham Road on the South East side and Twickenham Road on the North West side, continues between the two churches, across the main road and down to the river. In the past, however, the route of the main road between Kingston and Twickenham ran along the Kingston Road, turned up between the churches and into Twickenham Road past St. Mary's Church. Manor Road, now part of the road joining the two towns, was not opened until after the manorial estate was sold in the 1860s. Ferry Road is included in Conservation Area No. 27, Teddington Lock, 1977. It is possible that the change in the name from Water Lane to Ferry Road coincided with Manor Road being put through. St. Mary's Church, though a long boundary of its land lies in Ferry Road, has its entrance in Twickenham Road and is a listed building. Mrs. E. Pilborough gave some of the information about the houses in the road for the Teddington Society Survey in the 1970s which have been elaborated on.

The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are:

There are Grade II and Grade II* Listed Buildings in this road as follows: