Park Road 129, "Bushy Park Cottage"
Road: Park Road, Teddington
Property: 129, "Bushy Park Cottage"
The Teddington Society 1970 Survey described the house as "detached, 2-storey, red brick building standing in its own grounds, with a tiled roof and very tall chimneys." The roof has ornamental ridge tiles and a rendered parapet. "It has sash windows and a bay on both floors." The windows are stone rendered and there are stone rendered quoins. "The property is surrounded by a high brick wall with entry through a door in a stone arch."
The current owner (2013) writes;
"Bushy Park Cottage was built in 1762 reputedly by George III as a hunting lodge for Bushy Park. It was associated with Bushy House and was used by George III, George IV and the Duke of Clarence, (later William IV). The main part of the house is typically Georgian in style and many of the original period details remain in place. There is a Victorian wing, built c. 1850, which had an ice room below it, but that unfortunately was filled in many years ago. The house appears on the 1863 OS map.
There were originally extensive mature gardens of about 2 acres which were really beautiful and had walkways, small bridges and water features. However, some land was sold in the 1940s when the original nos. 107 and 109 Park Road were built (these houses have since been demolished and replaced by three other houses).
Before and during World War II the house was a boarding house. General Dwight D. Eisenhower planned the D-Day landings from Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF) at Camp Griffiss in the Park. It was intended that he should stay at quarters in Whitehall, where he could be protected and could use its bunkers should it be necessary. However, he said he would prefer to be close to his troops and moved in to Bushy Park Cottage in early 1944 where he remained until the troops moved to Portsmouth for the D-Day landings. Eisenhower stayed in the house with his chauffeur, Kay Summersby, who was a member of the British Mechanised Transport Corps and later became his secretary and, it is alleged, his mistress.
The 3rd photo is of the back. It looks different from the back doesn't it? It is still the same, although we have put a conservatory on the right looking at it in the photo. It is no. 109 because originally it had an even larger garden with brilliant landscaping, a pond and little bridges, It had a sweeping drive with an IN and OUT at the back. A lot of land was sold in the 30s and two bungalows were built. Now we just have an IN at the back! The bungalows went around 2000 and on the site of the furthest away from us there are now two houses, nos. 107 and 107a, and then the next house became no. 109. Our house could be anything between no. 111 and no. 129, but is known as no. 129 now."
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.