Schoolhouse Lane

From The Teddington Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Schoolhouse Lane on Google Maps.

"A narrow cul-de-sac between the back gardens of Wick Road and the railway line, with houses on one side of the road only. There is only one pair of houses in the part of the street leading to the main terrace, the right hand side being the premises of the corner pub, The Lion and its reputed stable block. Most of the street was probably built with the school ie 1875 or after." Cathy Smith, TeddSoc Survey 1973.

In 2014 most of the street still has terraces of small cottages on one side of the street only. The school house has been converted into four maisonettes, and the two premises which were the pub, Prince Alfred and the beerhouse, The Eagle are now private houses. The Lion pub on the corner with Wick Road is still operating as a pub, with its main entrance on Wick Road.

In 1881, there were two pubs in School House Lane, one being the Prince Alfred, as described the page for no. 21-25, and the other a beerhouse named The Eagle. This was in the house now no. 55, (not a BTM) next to the school house. Most of the other houses in the lane are very small cottages and were formerly occupied by labourers and their families, generally with large numbers of children.

In 1881, The Eagle was occupied by Charles Osbourne (described as a brickmaker, not a publican) his wife and their six children. The eldest daughter aged 18 was a barmaid.

In 1891, The Eagle was run by William Gilbert. A beer retailer, his wife and three children.

In 1901, The Eagle Inn was occupied by Willem G. Gent, a beer retailer, his wife Eliza, their son Ernest aged 21, who had a modern occupation as an apprentice electrical turner, and a daughter aged 11.

The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are: