Twickenham Road, Teddington
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Twickenham Road, Teddington on Google Maps.
The route of this road has an unusual history. The road known as Twickenham Road used to run from the border with Twickenham to St Mary's Church, turned East at the church and then South into the road now known as Kingston Road. In 1862 the Manor land was sold and a new road was opened at the end of Kingston Road to the East of St Mary's Church and turned West, a little way North of the church, and crossed Twickenham Road. This new road was called Manor Road.
About 1970, traffic lights were installed at the junction of Kingston Road and Manor Road and the latter became part of the main road between Kingston and Twickenham. Where Manor Road formerly crossed Twickenham Road it was sealed off and the two parts of Twickenham Road are no longer joined by road at this junction. The part of Twickenham Road, South of Manor Road, now leads into the remaining part of Manor Road giving access only to Cambridge Road.
Following the sale of the Manor, Twickenham Road began to be developed with a number of Victorian villas, now mostly blocks of flats, with views over the river and development has continued.
The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are: